Design competition in association with Giles
Are you a final year design student looking to do an MA?
Enter your sofa design in our competition and you could
have your MA tuition fees paid in full*. Plus, the winning
design will be manufactured and professionally photographed
at DFS’s production studio – and we’ll arrange a 3-month
internship with Giles Deacon.
*In any design discipline up to a value of £12,000
DFS is one of the UK's leading sofa specialists with
more than 44 years' experience of handcrafting
here in the UK. In recent years, DFS has embarked on
a number of successful design collaborations
recently, launched a partnership with renowned fashion
designer Giles Deacon.
With strong shared credentials in British design and
the ability to combine the worlds of fashion and
design, DFS and Giles Deacon are the perfect fit for a
Thinking about the concept of 'contemporary urban living' and all this entails, your challenge is to design
a sofa that fits in with the theme of modern life. Think carefully about how you will create a stylish and
functional sofa that will sit well in the smaller spaces that are often found in today's homes.
As the sofa is the focal point of any living room, it should be design-led yet
practical. Perfect for contemporary life, your sofa should have both comfort and style at its heart.
Also think about…
- What trends are influencing furniture design and the wider world of interior design?
- How will your design balance comfort, functionality and style?
- Who is your target demographic?
- How will you demonstrate differentiation from competitor offerings?
Don't worry if you are unfamiliar with furniture creation - the competition will
be judged on great ideas and entries that fulfil the ‘contemporary urban living' brief. You are not required
to design the internal frame of the sofa. If you win, we'll help you with that element of the design.
Your creative response to the brief should take the form of a minimum of one mood board, plus sketches of your
sofa and a series of fabric suggestions. In addition, please provide a one-page written explanation of your:
- Thought process
- Design inspiration
Please provide your entry as a PDF document, with your name, college and contact details detailed clearly. Hard copies are also accepted.
- Open to all final year BA students across any design course
- All applications must be submitted by 31 March 2014
- Enter via firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to Krow Communications Limited, 80 Goswell Road, London EC1V 7DB
- The DFS Design Foundation panel will then shortlist six applicants who will be invited to spend a day with Giles on 24 April,
during which they'll be able to refine their sofa design, receiving expert advice and support along the way.
The small print
Below are the terms and conditions of entry into the DFS design competition (the "Competition"):
- DFS Trading Limited (01735950) of 1 Rockingham Way, Redhouse Interchange, Adwick-le-Street, Doncaster, South Yorkshire DN6 7NA is the promoter of the Competition (the "Promoter").
- The Competition can be entered by any student in the final year of an undergraduate degree in design (any discipline) at a university or college
in the UK aged 18 or over who has the right to work in the UK, excluding employees of the Promoter, its subsidiaries, families, its agents or
anyone else associated with this Competition.
- There is one prize consisting of:
- tuition fees for a masters in design to be commenced in 2014 at a college or university in the UK (a "Qualifying Course") up to a total value of £12,000;
- a paid three-month work placement at Giles Deacon's studio in central London in 2014; and
- professional photographs of a prototype of the winning design as more particularly detailed below (together the "Prize").
- In relation to part (a) of the Prize, only tuition fees paid or to be paid to a college or university in the UK in respect of a Qualifying Course can be
claimed (without limitation, costs of course materials and students loans for maintenance are excluded and may not be claimed). The winner will
be required to provide evidence from their college or university confirming acceptance of the winner on to the Qualifying Course, a start date of
the Qualifying Course in 2014, and the tuition fees payable for the winner's Qualifying Course. A sum equal to the tuition fees for the winner's
Qualifying Course up to the maximum amount of £12,000 will be paid by cheque to the winner within 28 days of receiving such evidence. The
winner is not entitled to a cash equivalent of the tuition fees if they do not intend to undertake a Qualifying Course.
- In relation to part (b) of the Prize, the sum paid to the winner for completing the work placement will be £3,331 (this is based on a daily rate of
£50.48 for 66 working days over three months). This will be paid weekly in arrears. The winner will also receive a £500 travel budget. This will
be paid weekly in advance. The winner will be solely responsible for arranging their accommodation and transport during the placement. The
work placement and these payments will be subject to the winner entering into a contract for the placement with Giles Deacon in advance of
the placement. This is not an offer of employment from the Promoter.
- In relation to part (c) of the Prize, the Promoter will build a prototype of the winner's sofa design. The Promoter will arrange for this prototype
to be professionally photographed, and will make copies of the photographs available to the winner. The prototype sofa and the copyright in
the photographs will be owned by the Promoter. The Promoter will grant the winner a royalty-free, non-exclusive, non-transferable licence to
use the photographs for non-commercial purposes only (this will include the right to use the photographs in the winner's portfolio of work, in
job applications and/or interviews, and unpaid exhibitions). The Promoter may choose to use or exploit the winner's design (including without
limitation making sofas to the design) in its absolute discretion, but will be under no obligation to do so. In the event the Promoter does choose
to sell sofas made to the winner's design, no royalties will be payable to the winner.
- To enter, entrants must create and submit an original design for a stylish and functional sofa under the theme "contemporary urban living" that
fits in with modern life and smaller living spaces, is design-led yet practical and has comfort and style at its heart as set out in the "Brief" above
(the "Criteria"). The entry must include:
- the entrant's name, college/university, telephone number, email address and postal address;
- a minimum of one mood board;
- sketches of the sofa design;
- fabric suggestions and a one-page written explanation of the entrant's thought process, research, and design inspiration (together an "Entry").
- Entries may be submitted (as a PDF version) via email at the email address indicated on dfs.co.uk/designfoundation or (as a printed version)
via post to Krow Communications Limited, 80 Goswell Road, London EC1V 7DB. All entries must be received by the Promoter by no later than
23:59 on Monday 31 March 2014 (the "Closing Date").
- The Promoter is not liable for any Entries that are lost, undelivered, delayed, illegible or corrupt, whether by failure of the internet or otherwise.