Huevos Rancheros (spicy eggs)
Serves 4—please scale ingredients accordingly
- 8 free range eggs
- Handful of fresh spinach
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 green pepper finely chopped
- 1 red pepper finely chopped
- 1 red chilli
- 1 clove of garlic
- 100ml of tomato passata or chopped tomatoes
- Olive oil
- 1 tsp. Chipotle chilli power
- Knob of butter
- Salt and black pepper
- Handful of fresh coriander
- Corn tortillas-G.F or sour dough bread
- Prep notes
- Wash and chop spinach
- Finely chop onion
- Finely chop green and red pepper
- Finely slice garlic
- Large lidded non-stick oven proof frying pan
- per 4 people
Can be served as a table meal straight out of the pan onto plates or looks really nice served on a large colourful plate—think
Mexican street party.
Sauté the onions in olive oil in a large pan on medium heat. Once the onions are translucent, add green peppers, red peppers, garlic clove, spinach, the tomatoes and their juices, chopped red chilies and Chipotle chili powder.
Add the eggs (3-4 minutes for runny eggs).
Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low, and let simmer while you do the rest of the cooking, stirring occasionally. Reduce to warm after it has been simmering for 10 minutes. Add salt and black pepper.