Making This morning
We worked closely with Clara, the set designer of This Morning, to give ITV's flagship daytime programme a sofa makeover.
Sitting at the heart of the set and with over 3,750 guests interviewed on it every year, the sofa is the focal point for much of the show. But it’s not had a makeover for over three years. Clara was keen to ensure that whilst the sofa should be modernised, it should also be specifically designed to give proper support to any presenter during the long shows.
The new sofa has been handmade in a hardwearing, rich raspberry wine coloured, suede fabric by our expert team of skilled craftsmen in our Lincoln House factory in Derbyshire.
We've given the This Morning set a sofa makeover. Our in-house design team designed the show's brand new sofa, which was hand made in the UK by our expert craftsmen and women. The sofa made its live debut in January and will feature throughout the rest of 2013.
Interior design tips
from Clara Zita Product Designer / Set Designer, This Morning/ITV
Create a 'mood board'
- Get ideas from quality interior décor magazines, like Elle Decoration or Interiors.
- Find a style that you love.
- Tear photos out of the magazine and paste onto a piece of white card.
- Pick out two or three predominant colours to create a palette.
- Add complementary fabric swatches or pictures of pieces of furniture.
Choose your style
- When designing your home, take into account the period of the building.
- Make the most of original windows with suitable curtains.
- Breaking up the style with eclectic elements can work.
Pick your sofa
- Buy from a quality manufacturer for better durability and style.
- Take the mood board with you shopping so you don’t stray from your 'Look'.
- For a contemporary feel, choose a sofa with a low back and high arms
- A traditional sofa will add style and elegance.
- For smaller rooms, choose a compact design, or a small sofa and a cuddler chair.
- Think about lifestyle: if you like to watch TV, face your sofa in this direction; if you have young children, leather is easy to clean.
Coordinate your walls
- If you are not sure, use a soft white throughout, with one feature wall painted a different colour.
- Try the colour of the wall in your picture first, using a tester sized pot.
- Leave it for a day or two till you are sure.
- Farrow and Ball paints create deep, soft tones in any lighting set up.
- Dulux also have a good range and are reasonably priced.
- Test wallpaper style the same way, hanging one full strip with masking tape.
Show off your 'mood board'
- Stick your board into a frame and mount it on your room wall as an original collage.
- Cushions are important - save up for special cushions to add the finishing touch.
- Our celebrity guests always notice the cushions on our sofa on set!